What We Believe
We accept wholeheartedly the Christian faith as set out in the New Testament and as helpfully summarised in the historic creeds of the Christian Church, namely: –
- The sovereignty of God in creation, providence, revelation, redemption and final judgement.
- The divine inspiration and entire trustworthiness of Holy Scripture and its supremacy in all matters of faith and conduct.
- The sinfulness and separation of all men and women from God.
- The substitutionary sacrifice of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God for the salvation of mankind.
- The grace of God and the response of faith which makes salvation personally effective.
- The work of the Holy Spirit of God in the hearts of men and women transforming, gifting, empowering for the Christian life and the corporate life of the Church.
- The personal return of the Lord Jesus Christ in triumph.
We are an independent or “free” church, which means we’re not run or financed by a larger denomination. We are a member of The Countess of Huntingdon’s Connexion, a group of independent churches who share a common heritage in the great Methodist Revival of the 1700’s. You can read more about them here: www.cofhconnexion.org.uk
The Church is also aligned with the Evangelical Alliance, which is made up of hundreds of organisations, thousands of churches and tens of thousands of individuals, joined together for the sake of the gospel. The Evangelical Alliance is the oldest and largest evangelical unity movement in the UK.