Sermon Outline: John 19:1-3 & 14-22 – Coronation
The crucifixion is a coronation. The Kingdom of God looks like this.
2. Why Is Kingship Such A Big Deal For John’s Gospel?
- For his Jewish Readers: The rejection of Christ as Messiah was the culmination of a pattern of faithlessness in the nation of Israel. But Jesus, was faithful and brought to fulfilment God’s promises for Israel.
- For people who aren’t Christians: Faith in Jesus means letting go of our vision of what life should be and living in Jesus’ Kingdom instead
- For Christians: A Reminder that following Christ means constantly being re-challenged by the cross to live a life filled with love
3. Applications – How to seek this Kingdom
- If you Love “love” (as revealed at the cross) you love God and will recognise his Kingdom at work, even when things seem bad or others don’t recognise it.
- God’s way is powerful, even when it doesn’t look like it. Small obediences have eternal results.
- Be prepared: following God will cost us in term of worldly success
- Ask the Spirit to open your eyes to the Kingdom around you
- A warning – Rebellion and disobedience bring emptiness and destruction, no matter what our reasons
- Remember, God is faithful, his Kingdom in this world is just the start of a Kingdom that will go on forever.