Sermon Outline: John 18:28-19:16 – The World Did Not Know Him
John brings to dramatic finale the theme from John 1:10 – The world’s inability to know Jesus.
Doctrine & Application
A. “The world” revealed as the ignorant under the influence of Antichrist
- This helps us to understand and explain the times we live in
B. The things that keep people from recognising Jesus:
B.1 Self-righteousness – substituting anything for the righteousness that comes from God, through Christ, in the Spirit.
- Set your sights on righteousness of God, not religiosity or worldly hypocrisy
- Remember the purpose of religion
- Judge by fruit not by appearance
- Self-righteousness is very dangerous – check regularly!
B.2 Worldliness – “Slavery to God’s good creation rather than mastery over it. It is characterised by fear, ignorance, confusion, lusts and enslavement.”
- What’s stopping you from following Jesus more fully?
- The world we live in tries to make us worldly, now more than ever! Focus on Christ instead.
- We follow a King whose Kingdom is not of this world.